Thursday 22 November 2012

Ticked!

Recently I became very active in a Social Issue or in what I believe is a Social Issue  , right here in my beloved Country Trinidad and Tobago which is; to bring about a better understanding of the conservation needs of the turtles and the education  of people about the Leatherback sea turtles which grace our shores between the months of March to August each year. I felt that as a country when asked what we know about these magnificent creatures we knew nothing but responses of "it does taste good!." This truly bothered me as I also soon found out that my little island in the sun was graced by 20% of the worlds Leatherback sea turtles, yet 90% of persons when asked if they ever saw a Leatherback sea turtle in person the answer was a blatant mirthless 'No.'
Now that didn't bother me as much as this: as it dawned on me that  of the 10% of those who had seen these beautiful creatures in person , almost half of them had no understanding of how these creatures should be handled , observed and protected or even that they were endangered!
So I Embarked on a campaign to bring awareness in what ever humble way yet popular way I could : I made a Facebook Page called 'Leatherback Warriors' which sought to 'bring awareness to the existing conditions with regards to the treatment of Leatherback Turtles and what we can do to safeguard their future existence'. My aim was and still is; to enlighten the students of a college which I attend as I felt that if I can bring about awareness here in whatever way I can, it would branch out into other areas just as I, upon reading literature on these turtles was truly moved to make a difference. Now I am not the first to do this in my country nor will I ever take credit for what work is published here as I am acting as a mere conduit to bring just what the page intends to do. So to help me do this I reached out to other organizations (will call no names) both recognized and probably upcoming whom I believe also share the same ideals as I do in terms of this Issue of Educating people of this tiny island and Conserving these Amazing animals.
The Problems I encountered are beyond me as I am still finding it hard to believe that a mere request of a student, who,  seeing the need in his school to showcase these Turtles so that a better appreciation will grow and spread was ignored is beyond me and I refuse to believe that something as equally beneficial to all parties where one is getting an opportunity to bring awareness and the other in having the opportunity to become aware is brushed over and ignored.....  it is indeed a sad day for us all , Turtles included.

No comments:

Post a Comment